Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mozzarella Magic

For the past month or two I have had access to raw milk from a local farm, at $1.50 per litre.  I have been busy skimming cream, etc etc.  And, I have had a few disasters, but today I am going to share with you a complete SUCCESS!

I used this receipe here: http://www.motherearthliving.com/cooking-methods/homemade-mozzarella-recipe-zmrz12aszdeb.aspx

Here is my finished product, looking wonderful.

To make these shiny balls of yummyness, I used 7.5litres of milk as per the recipe above.  I followed all steps to the letter, and I am so pleased with the results.  Guess who is having pizza for dinner tonight?
I will share below some photos showing some of the steps.  You need to be at home for the afternoon (or morning).  The steps themselves are not difficult, but there is a lot of "sitting" time, and waiting around between steps.  These photos go backwards from the end to the beginning.
You need the pink gloves to protect your hands from the high heat at the "stretching" and "kneading" stages
Stretching the cheese till it is shiny and melted
The curds draining
Cutting the curds







3 comments:

  1. sorry I could not talk when you rang. I had Alex all day and the boys had just got home and we needed to drop Alex home and get to swimming. How much heavy was the total cheese you made? 1kg or more as the balls look enormous. Did it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, its OK, I guessed you were running off somewhere! I didn't think to weigh the cheese. I made it from full cream (unskimmed) milk, and used 7 litres. I got these 4 large balls. Each ball when sliced easily was enough for one pizza. I made 2 large pizzas (2 balls), Stacey took one home and had pizza, and we have one more in the fridge. It was absolutely delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, I never realised that you could make cheese at home. Your images make it look easy, I will go and check out the recipe. I am a Kiwi blogger with a home inspiration blog and sometimes feature recipes, I might just have to have a go at this.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete