Friday, April 25, 2014

ANZAC Day, 25th April, New Zealand

We went to our local ANZAC Day remembrance parade, service and wreathlaying.  I came home and wrote this...

In The Sun

I stood in the sun today, a cool breeze in my hair
Birds sang overhead, and the bugle cried
The pipes laid its lament over us
In a shivering blanket
Honouring the memory of men I have never met
Their hair was full of sand and grit
I have no way to know if the sun shone
on their doomed push
up a beach that no-one had heard of
A shore that meant not much to anyone
Except the local villagers
Who despaired at the boats
The guns, the battle on their shore
The aircraft streaming overhead
Did the pipes cry that day?
I’m sure the birds still sang
Even when huddled in their shivering blankets
The bugle cried to push them up the unforgiving sand
With thanks I stand in the sun
Enjoying the cool wind in my hair
With my children at my side
And honour those men with sadness and pride
In a small village that not many have heard of
But which I may call home

BY ANNA ANDERSON (being me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment